Before we can answer “What is a VPN?” we first need to define a private network. A private network is a network of computers that are connected to each other, without any connection to external networks or the Internet. Each computer utilizes a private IP address – an address that only a device within the private network can locate and communicate with. Outside of the network, these IP addresses are invisible.
The advantages of private networks are many, with privacy and security being at the top of the list. The Internet, with all its bountiful content, is also a breeding ground for viruses, trojans, worms and hackers. By not being connected to external networks or the Internet, a private network is not subjected to these harmful side effects. Businesses with highly confidential and proprietary information appreciate the security that a private network provides.
A VPN is a Virtual Private Network, whereby data is encrypted and then transported over a public network. The goal of a VPN is to provide privacy and security while still being connected to public networks and the Internet. A VPN is a means of adding security to a public network, and is not in itself a private network. It should be noted that since traditional VPNs use encryption, there is an impact on performance – encryption adds latency. In addition, incremental time and costs associated with managing the additional equipment is required for VPNs.
For network administrators desiring a true private network, that is also free from the hassles of VPN deployment and management, Skyriver Private Network offers many advantages. Compare Skyriver Private Network.
- Don’t get spooked by ISPs. Get hooked. - October 27, 2017
- Champion the best VPN for your network. - June 28, 2016
- What is Fixed Wireless? - December 16, 2015
- IT expert: An impressive juggling act. - September 24, 2015
- Internet downtime: Do you know the real cost? - March 20, 2015
- CES 2015 – a smart show for a smart tomorrow. - January 28, 2015
- Is a VPN an IP private network? - December 3, 2014
- What is a T1 line? How fast is T1 service? - November 18, 2014
- CES. The Super Bowl Of Technology. - August 29, 2014
- Has your water cooler gone digital? My how things have changed since the last World Cup. - July 15, 2014