Call it coincidence, probably, but over the last month three different vendors, in three different geographies, that were trying to earn my business disappeared from communications for 24-48 hours. Turns out that all three were using broadband Internet providers that, due to technical difficulties, had their broadband connections fail. So no email responses for me. And because they were also using their broadband connection for VoIP, the phones were down, so no returned voicemail messages.
As these were all sales departments, I couldn’t help but wonder at the time, why they were not responding to my questions. Had I asked too many questions? Were they no longer interested in my business? Did the sales person no longer work there? Was this lack of response indicative of the service that I may later experience as a customer? If I have a problem and need customer support, can I reach anyone? As a potential customer, all these concerns were going through my mind.
It’s amazing that in today’s world of business-grade broadband, technology savvy and the emphasis on revenue acquisition, that more companies do not think ahead to take measures to protect their business revenue by making thoughtful broadband decisions. Even just an afternoon without business Internet or phone access can translate into thousands of dollars of missed revenue. With a little research and planning, you can obtain premium broadband Internet service that comes with high reliability and performance, and you can obtain affordable redundant service that will not only protect you when you lose your primary service, but can also be used day in and day out to handle your peak broadband usage via load balancing.
While these three businesses did get back in touch with me once their broadband connection was restored, I was suspect as to the quality of service I would receive in the future. Ultimately, I purchased services from just one of these. Did the broadband outage influence my buying decision of the other two? Perhaps.
- Don’t get spooked by ISPs. Get hooked. - October 27, 2017
- Champion the best VPN for your network. - June 28, 2016
- What is Fixed Wireless? - December 16, 2015
- IT expert: An impressive juggling act. - September 24, 2015
- Internet downtime: Do you know the real cost? - March 20, 2015
- CES 2015 – a smart show for a smart tomorrow. - January 28, 2015
- Is a VPN an IP private network? - December 3, 2014
- What is a T1 line? How fast is T1 service? - November 18, 2014
- CES. The Super Bowl Of Technology. - August 29, 2014
- Has your water cooler gone digital? My how things have changed since the last World Cup. - July 15, 2014