It’s back-to-work Monday and the World Cup Final is the talk of the office. Employees are consumed with game recaps, victory cheers and company World Cup pool payouts. Such a good confab to start-off the workweek.
But unlike years past, the Monday morning buzz was no longer at the lunchroom cooler – it went digital.
Employees had all their digital devices humming. They were checking the office pool emails, tweeting their wins and losses, posting favorite shots, reading and sharing witty recaps, and more. Quite a bit cooler than the older days when we were literally standing around the cooler – unless you happen to be the IT guy trying to manage all these devices that are using your company’s resources.
For the IT manager, the new digital lifestyle has added new complications.
- How do you manage all these devices that employees bring to the office?
- Do you connect them all to your LAN?
- Do you let employees add any device to your Wi-Fi network?
- Do you provide free and open access to all content?
- Do you limit software downloads to business applications?
- Do you look the other way when it comes to fantasy sports?
- Do you prioritize data traffic for essential office functions?
There are many variables to consider: security, resource allocation, bandwidth utilization, productivity, IT expense, and employee morale, to name a few.
The World Cup proved to be a game changer on many fronts. More fans, more online viewing, more tweets, more posts, and definitely more broadband utilization. Our employees’ constant thirst for live interaction and real time viewing has moved their activities directly into the workplace.
So while it’s time to re-think IT systems, policies and Internet connections to make sure you are prepared for a new era of digital interaction, you can probably leave the water cooler analysis for a later date.
If you need to upgrade your Internet connection for the new digital lifestyle, review Skyriver Enterprise. Skyriver business broadband service is optimized for real time applications, it is quick to install, and it easily scales to GigE to meet your business needs, as well as your employee needs.
- Don’t get spooked by ISPs. Get hooked. - October 27, 2017
- Champion the best VPN for your network. - June 28, 2016
- What is Fixed Wireless? - December 16, 2015
- IT expert: An impressive juggling act. - September 24, 2015
- Internet downtime: Do you know the real cost? - March 20, 2015
- CES 2015 – a smart show for a smart tomorrow. - January 28, 2015
- Is a VPN an IP private network? - December 3, 2014
- What is a T1 line? How fast is T1 service? - November 18, 2014
- CES. The Super Bowl Of Technology. - August 29, 2014
- Has your water cooler gone digital? My how things have changed since the last World Cup. - July 15, 2014