It was Tuesday, 1 pm. PST, middle of the workday for west coast fans. There was great excitement in the air. Perched in front of TVs, desktops, tablets and smart phones, fans cheered as Team USA walked onto the field. World Cup Fever had taken hold.
As workplace fans gathered in front of their screens, consumed by “The Fever”, IT managers on the west coast braced themselves for the impending surge of Internet bandwidth usage. Never before had a sporting event of this magnitude been conducted during normal business hours. This was a true test of each company’s Internet connection and provider – could employees watch the game without affecting normal business operations?
Streaming media in the workplace is a sign of new times. Today’s workers are connected to the Internet at all times with several devices. They are watching live events, such as The World Cup, streaming news, sports, current affairs and music to one or more devices. But unlike many business applications, streaming media requires significant bandwidth, which presents a major challenge to those who manage their company’s Internet connection.
During the USA/Belgium game, we saw a considerable increase in Internet traffic: Our customers’ bandwidth utilization increased by 40%. This was the first time we have seen an event of this magnitude, but it most certainly will not be the last. We are seeing a meaningful change in bandwidth consumption. More businesses are rapidly increasing their dependence on real-time applications such as streaming media, VoIP, and countless other applications that require larger business-grade Internet connections.
Skyriver Enterprise service, which delivers bandwidth scalable to GigE, is perfectly suited to this new business requirement. And on July 1, 2014, it proved to be more than capable of meeting the challenge of this new, continuously evolving, bandwidth challenge.
Make sure you have the right Internet connection for your business use. Check Internet service availability in my area.
- Don’t get spooked by ISPs. Get hooked. - October 27, 2017
- Champion the best VPN for your network. - June 28, 2016
- What is Fixed Wireless? - December 16, 2015
- IT expert: An impressive juggling act. - September 24, 2015
- Internet downtime: Do you know the real cost? - March 20, 2015
- CES 2015 – a smart show for a smart tomorrow. - January 28, 2015
- Is a VPN an IP private network? - December 3, 2014
- What is a T1 line? How fast is T1 service? - November 18, 2014
- CES. The Super Bowl Of Technology. - August 29, 2014
- Has your water cooler gone digital? My how things have changed since the last World Cup. - July 15, 2014