The typical workday of an IT expert encompasses more than fixing office computer and printer problems. The IT expert efficiently tackles a long list of tasks, juggling between daily operations, short-term projects and long-term responsibilities. The successful IT pro is a knowledge resource, a multi-tasker, a problem solver, and a good communicator.
There are three key areas, that once mastered, will make you an IT expert juggler.
Be proactive. The IT pro not only reacts quickly to problems on a daily basis, but is also proactive in learning new trends and expanding skills. With an extensive grasp of new technologies and subject matter expertise, the IT expert leverages his knowledge to control and create optimal solutions. He likes to be challenged and is passionate about all things tech.
Be strategic. The strategist analyzes and identifies risks and opportunities to formulate appropriate short-term decisions. He generates multiple solutions to key issues using logic and reasoning, while staying focused on key performance business drivers. With limited IT budgets, he achieves a thoughtful balance between implementing change, determining optimal upgrade times, and choosing the best IT options (server upgrades, ISPs, and collocation facilities, for instance.)
Be proficient. The proficient IT person prioritizes his/her daunting task list to satisfy employees as well as management. With an abundance of responsibilities in an 8-hour workday, his personality necessitates a keen attention to detail. He manages stress well, understands accountability, and is a great communicator. A grasp of customer service and business skills sets him apart from the rest.
Being an IT expert juggler may be easier than you think. Start with sourcing the right products and services for your organization. See why IT Pros prefer Fixed Wireless broadband from Skyriver.
Sources: CompTIA State of the IT Skills Gap; Innotas 12.2013 Study CEB
- Don’t get spooked by ISPs. Get hooked. - October 27, 2017
- Champion the best VPN for your network. - June 28, 2016
- What is Fixed Wireless? - December 16, 2015
- IT expert: An impressive juggling act. - September 24, 2015
- Internet downtime: Do you know the real cost? - March 20, 2015
- CES 2015 – a smart show for a smart tomorrow. - January 28, 2015
- Is a VPN an IP private network? - December 3, 2014
- What is a T1 line? How fast is T1 service? - November 18, 2014
- CES. The Super Bowl Of Technology. - August 29, 2014
- Has your water cooler gone digital? My how things have changed since the last World Cup. - July 15, 2014